You are watching: What is an example of a fused sentence
100,000+ Designs, documents Templates in PDF, Word, Excel, PSD, Google Docs, PowerPoint, InDesign, to apologize Pages, Google Sheets, Publisher, to apologize Numbers, Illustrator, Keynote. - begin DOWNLOADING
What are Fused Sentences?A fused sentence, additionally known as a run-on sentence, occurs once two key clauses are linked in a sentence there is no the visibility of a punctuation. However, little importance is provided to the length of the sentence, as also a short sentence may currently be categorized together a unify sentence.
Although fused sentences are treated as errors in the civilization of grammar usmam.org, part writers use them deliberately to acquire special effects, particularly in informal contexts for colloquial speech. But for developing formal pieces of writing, writers have to be mindful in making use of such, even if it is this is done deliberately or unintentionally, in their narratives.
Independent ClausesFor united state to identify the difference between a fused sentence and also a correctly structured sentence, us must very first understand what one independent clause really is.Technically, there is no border on the number of words a sentence deserve to have. For a sentence to be considered as a fused sentence, you have to look into its independent or key clauses. An independent clause is just a team of words that can stand on its own to form a grammatically finish sentence.Let’s take these live independence clauses because that example:It was 7:25 in the morningChester and also Scott rushed to capture the college busIf you put a duration by the finish of every clause, then you’ll be left v a complete sentence. But combining the two independent clauses to form a solitary sentence is a writing method that most writers do to create interesting narratives. With that gift said, let’s take a look at what would occur once this is applied:It to be 7:25 in the morning Chester and Scott rushed to catch the institution bus.Once the two clauses are combined without including or omitting any words or dot marks, climate a unify sentence is formed. Let’s view what wake up if a comma is inserted in between the two main clauses:It was 7:25 in the morning, Chester and also Scott rushed to record the school bus.Although the independent rule have already been be separated to correct the unify sentence, this only leads to one more kind that run-on mistake referred to as a “comma splice”. Knowing this, it’s safe to say that a comma isn’t sufficient sufficient to sign up with two key clauses together. Instead, there space other techniques which manipulate a punctuation or a conjunction the is proven to be an ext effective. Friend may likewise see cumulative Sentence.
usmam.org of fused SentencesListed listed below are some usmam.org of unify sentences in daily language:There’s not much to carry out at residence it’s quite boring come live alone.My cat were playing roughly the prior yard ns watched them with my bedroom window.Some students would hide in your classrooms during general assemblies others would shot and skip the by leaving campus right before it starts.They to speak you can be young as soon as you can be immature for the remainder of her life.Sara’s house is vast you could hear your very own voice echo after ~ every word you speak.Laura own a catering organization in brand-new Jersey she’s an skilled in cooking for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays, reunions, and also holiday parties.The school’s cheerleaders only cheer for the football team over there is no basketball varsity team on campus.Sierra is a an excellent student she has been getting straight A’s since primary school.I dislike it when world have a lot to say on social media lock act as if they are in the ideal all the time.The dog house was large it smelled that dog food and also pee.My friends come over so late last night to greet me a happy date of birth they ended up throw rocks at my bedroom window to wake up me up.Hans and also Klein played video clip games lock watched a movie.The baseball got brand-new uniforms lock can’t wait to begin playing next season.Taking a bus ride come a friend’s house, Jennifer promised to it s her she’d battered drinking every while she was on her method to a university frat party.TV shows always feature people with sad story to call everybody goes with some hard times that aren’t gift publicized on any type of media platform for the people to see.
How to correct a unify SentenceIn most cases, fused sentences can destroy the essence of one’s writing. Although the balanced sentence may make feeling to part extent, it deserve to still cause confusion once construed differently by the reader. Fused sentences commonly exist when one write simultaneously, regularly forgetting to punctuate the sentence to separate its clauses, or as soon as the writer has little knowledge in the appropriate use that punctuation. Regardless of one’s reason, it’s necessary to correct this grammar flaw come promote clean communication.
Fortunately, that isn’t difficult to correct a unify sentence, as long as you choose a strategy you’re comfortable with. These techniques are together follows:
1. Different the live independence clauses right into two various sentences.The simplest means to rectify a fused sentence is to break the error into two different sentences. Every you must do is identify the independent clauses in the sentence, then separate them through a period. Friend may likewise see complex Sentences.Example:Fused Sentence: Driving house from football practice, Brendon vowed to be strict v his diet all the if he take it a bite out of his dual cheeseburger meal.Correct: Driving home from soccer practice, Brendon vowed to it is in strict through his diet. All the when he take it a bite the end of his double cheeseburger meal.Notice just how we took the end the independent clauses and also transformed them into two finish sentences. This was done by utilizing a duration to finish the sentence, then capitalizing the an initial letter that the being successful sentence to suggest the begin of a brand-new one.
2. Usage a semicolon to different clauses.For those that aren’t also fond the the excessive use the periods, then a semicolon may simply be your ideal weapon.Since the function of a semicolon is just as solid as the of a period, climate linking clauses v this punctuation can assist correct a fused sentence.Example:Fused Sentence: It was close to finals the students began losing your mind through all the paperwork given.Correct: It to be close come finals; the students started losing your mind v all the paperwork given. As you deserve to see, not many transforms have been added to the sentence, except for the semicolon placed in between the two key clauses.
3. Rewrite the whole sentence.While this may be the the very least efficient method for addressing a fused sentence, it’s quiet a great approach to rectifying fused sentences that room too facility to correct. Writers or editors that encounter facility fused sentences may simply recast the totality sentence to do it right, without changing the initial author’s main point. Yet keep in mind that this strategy may be supplied regardless of the sentence form given, as it all counts on one’s preference. You may additionally see Preposition Sentences.Example: Fused Sentence: Penny ate her cat food the brand to be Whiskas.Correct: The type of cat food penny ate was Whiskas.
4. Insert a comma followed by a coordinating conjunction.Another great option is to use a comma and a coordinating associate (joining words: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) to connect the main clauses together.Example: Fused Sentence: Heather check out the novel her girlfriend watched the movie.Correct: Heather review the novel, and her friend watched the movie. You may additionally use various other coordinating conjunctions to exactly the error, just as follows:Heather review the novel, for her girlfriend watched the movie. Heather review the novel, but her girlfriend watched the movie. Heather review the novel, yet her friend watched the movie. Heather check out the novel, so her friend watched the movie.
5. Revolve one live independence clause into a dependency clause.Transforming your main clause into a subordinate clause is also another method you deserve to use. But due to the fact that you are turning it into a dependency clause, then the sentence have to be composed of two clauses the express a complete and also an incomplete assumed accordingly.Example:Fused Sentence: It was raining exterior the dogs slept indoors to remain dry.Correct: Since it was raining outside, the dog slept indoors to remain dry.
6. Connect clauses by making use of a semicolon before a conjunctive adverb or a transitional expression.While this might not always be applicable because that correcting fused sentences, yet using a conjunctive adverb (also, anyway, besides, thus, furthermore, incidentally, otherwise, moreover) or a transitional expression (after all, by the way, in various other words, for example, on the various other hand) after a semicolon and in in between two key clauses is tho an open up option for you.Example:Fused Sentence: It was close to feather the flowers were beginning to bloom.
See more: In Need Of 1984 Toyota Pickup Fuse Box Location, In Need Of 1984 Hilux Fuse Box Diagram
Correct: It to be close to spring; consequently, the flowers were start to bloom.
Now that we have completely discussed what fused sentences are and how to exactly them, we hope you have actually learned a point or 2 from this article. Learning about the simple errors in grammar can aid enhance your skills in composing for much better communication. If these kind of sentences don’t seem choose that lot of a large deal, proper sentence building and construction is still crucial in moving the right message. Also if girlfriend aren’t a experienced writer, to begin with, you must keep in mental that understanding correct grammar plays crucial role in different elements of life, nevertheless of one’s ar or profession. You may likewise see Parallel Sentences.