The PCM (powertrain control module) is the brains of her vehicle, and modern engines merely won"t operation if there is a significant malfunction, flaw, fault, or failure with the perceptible electrically system. In part instances, PCM and also ECM (electronic control module) may be used interchangeably. However, Ford describes the machine as a PCM ~ above 1997 to 2003 model year Ford F-150s.
You are watching: 1997 ford f150 pcm location?
Applicable version Years: 1997 - 2003 Ford F-150 PCM relay: Ford F0AB-14B192-AA, traditional RY116 PCM diode: Ford F5TZ-14A604-A
A failure PCM will certainly definitively result in a no begin condition, although you must not be fast to blame the PCM without first performing a collection of an easy diagnostics in order to narrow down the difficulty as PCM failures are not have to “common”. Many of the PCM failures we come across are the an outcome of aftermarket tools such together performance tuners/programmers. Back unaware of the reasoning as to why these tools seem to stress the PCM, we’ve replaced many non-responsive or otherwise malfunctioning PCMs ~ above vehicles equipped with such devices.
The number one symptom that a PCM failure is the i can not qualify to attach a scantool or diagnostic device to the PCM. Prior to replacing the PCM, we recommend verifying that the PCM relay and also diode in the underhood fuse panel room in working condition. If one of these materials fails, the PCM will fail to power on and the trouble may it is in misdiagnosed. If replacing her PCM, additionally replace the PCM relay and diode. The places of these materials may vary and also are established in your owner manual.
Click any type of thumbnail to see high resolution full-size photo with details
• Disconnect the negative battery terminal, climate the confident battery terminal.
• eliminate the battery indigenous the vehicle.
• remove the battery box/tray bolts through a 13 mm socket (4 bolts). If the bolts room corroded (as pictured), take necessary precautions to avoid coming in contact with corrosive debris.
• The PCM travels through the firewall ~ above the passenger side. The machine itself is located inside the cabin, but the connector is only available from under the hood. Usage a 10 mm socket to completely loosen the PCM connector retaining bolt, then very closely disconnect the connector from the PCM (note - the bolt will continue to be with the connector together it is loosened; execute not effort to remove it from the connector).
• The PCM is situated under the dash behind the passenger side kick panel. V the panel removed, remove the little black plastic clip that secures the PCM to the mounting bracket.
• To eliminate the PCM indigenous the mounting bracket, exercise it in the direction of the driver side slightly, climate pull directly out.
• Reinstallation is specifically opposite removal; do not overtighten PCM connector retaining bolt.
See more: Flights From Knoxville Tn Airport To Gatlinburg Tn, Airports Near Me
• Locate and also replace the PCM power relay. The place may vary by version year, describe your vehicle"s owners manual.
usmam.org is not affiliated through nor endorsed by Ford Motor company or any manufacturer mentioned herein, uneven explicitly provided otherwise.